From my village report and some extra research for my real estate blog.
Coyotes were once rare in Chicago-land. Now we have more coyotes in urban areas near fields and wild areas.
One of the newsletters I read is cautioning us how to live peaceably with our wild coyote neighbors. Here are some cautions, preparations and links.
- Don’t feed any wild animals such as raccoons or deer, which encourages coyotes as well.
- Coyotes have been known to attack pets.
- Don’t leave any cat or dog food outside.
- Secure garbage in areas where coyotes can’t access it; keep yards clean of refuse and brush.
- Do not let pets out at night unless accompanied by a person.
Coyotes in Chicago: conflict or coexistence?
Chicago's Coyotes Will Probably Not Eat Your Pets (Probably)
Project Coyote promotes educated coexistence between people and coyotes.